This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Not reproductible conversion result : Consecutives conversions from the same file produce differents pdf files !

Jul 17, 2013 at 5:42 PM
Hello,

I would like to use this great conversion tool in a version controlled documents repositery
in order to avoid multiplicity results against differents users "Office to PDF" creation tool (PDFCreator, ...) and also to ensure regenerability.

I compared result of 2 consecutives conversions from a same "source" file,
and I sadly noticed there are some date/time informations, and other differences in the 2 generated .pdf files. (binary compared)

I have few questions :

Q1 : Are these context specific informations MANDATORY in a PDF file ?

Q2 : if Q1 answer = YES, is it possible (or will it be in future release) to pass the date/time and other mandatory info from option parameter(s) ?

Q2 : If Q1 answer is NO , is there a way not to have such conversion context information ?
    a ) in current release ? 
    b) in future release ? (with new option for example)
Thank you for your response.

Best Regards
Fabrice
Coordinator
Jul 17, 2013 at 6:52 PM
Hi Fabrice

We don't explicitly add the date in document, rather, these are generated by Office itself when it saves the document, which we have no control over. So in answer to your question, I don't believe it's something we will implement in a future release.

However, you can still generate the PDF and then post-process it with something like http://www.a-pdf.com/infochanger/cmd.htm to normalise the modification date and creation date meta-data that Office is adding to the PDF.

Regards
Vittal
Jul 18, 2013 at 12:16 PM
Hi Vittal, Thank you for your extra quick response. :-) I would be simpler not to save such extra or meta data from Office into generated PDF ! (with a global or more selective option for example) As I am now a registered user, I may have access to the tool source code. Could you indicate me what portion of code to look at in order I can try to add such filtering for metadata ? Thanks BR Fabrice Le 17/07/2013 19:52, cognidox a écrit : > > From: cognidox > > Hi Fabrice > > We don't explicitly add the date in document, rather, these are > generated by Office itself when it saves the document, which we have > no control over. So in answer to your question, I don't believe it's > something we will implement in a future release. > > However, you can still generate the PDF and then post-process it with > something like http://www.a-pdf.com/infochanger/cmd.htm to normalise > the modification date and creation date meta-data that Office is > adding to the PDF. > > Regards > Vittal > > Read the full discussion online > . > > To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email > ([email removed] > ) > > To start a new discussion for this project, email > [email removed] > > > You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion > on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe > on > CodePlex.com. > > Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any > posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com > -- */Fabrice/**/PERROS/**/for Exagon Motors/**//* */Senior Embedded Software Engineer @ Electricity & Electronics Dept /* Description :cid:[email removed]6BB050 EXAGON MOTORS - Technopôle du circuit - 58470 Magny-Cours - France Fax : *+33 (0)3 86 21 25 59* E-mail :[email removed] _www.exagon-motors.com_ Les informations contenues dans ce message sont confidentielles et peuvent constituer des informations privilégiées. Si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire de ce message, il vous est interdit de le copier, de le faire suivre, de le divulguer ou d’en utiliser tout ou partie. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, merci de le supprimer de votre système, ainsi que toutes ses copies, et d’en avertir immédiatement l’expéditeur par message de retour. Il est impossible de garantir que les communications par messagerie électronique arrivent en temps utile, sont sécurisées ou dénuées de toute erreur ou virus. En conséquence, l’expéditeur n’accepte aucune responsabilité du fait des erreurs ou omissions qui pourraient en résulter. The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. E-mail communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions which arise as a result.
Hi Vittal,

Thank you for your extra quick response. :-)

I would be simpler not to save such extra or meta data from Office into generated PDF !
(with a global or more selective option for example)

As I am now a registered user, I may have access to the tool source code.
Could you indicate me what portion of code to look at in order I can try to add such filtering for metadata ?

Thanks

BR
Fabrice

Le 17/07/2013 19:52, cognidox a écrit :

Fabrice PERROS for Exagon Motors

Senior Embedded Software Engineer @ Electricity & Electronics Dept

Description :cid:[email removed]6BB050

<!--

Description :
              cid:[email removed]6BB050 Hall 5-1, Stand 112

-->EXAGON MOTORS - Technopôle du circuit - 58470 Magny-Cours - France

Fax : +33 (0)3 86 21 25 59

E-mail : fabrice.perros@[email removed]

www.exagon-motors.com

Les informations contenues dans ce message sont confidentielles et peuvent constituer des informations privilégiées. Si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire de ce message, il vous est interdit de le copier, de le faire suivre, de le divulguer ou d’en utiliser tout ou partie. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, merci de le supprimer de votre système, ainsi que toutes ses copies, et d’en avertir immédiatement l’expéditeur par message de retour.

Il est impossible de garantir que les communications par messagerie électronique arrivent en temps utile, sont sécurisées ou dénuées de toute erreur ou virus. En conséquence, l’expéditeur n’accepte aucune responsabilité du fait des erreurs ou omissions qui pourraient en résulter.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.

E-mail communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions which arise as a result.

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2013 at 12:40 PM
Edited Jul 18, 2013 at 12:41 PM
Hi Fabrice

Each of the Office applications has it's own conversion class. e.g. for Word, it is WordConverter.cs. If you look in this, you'll see the conversion call:
doc.ExportAsFixedFormat(outputFile, WdExportFormat.wdExportFormatPDF, false, 
    WdExportOptimizeFor.wdExportOptimizeForOnScreen, WdExportRange.wdExportAllDocument, 
    1, 1, WdExportItem.wdExportDocumentContent, false, true, bookmarks);
This calls the relevant VSTO call to create the PDF - in the case of Word http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.office.tools.word.document.exportasfixedformat%28v=vs.90%29.aspx

We only have control over what we pass into this call, and if Word inserts data such as creation or modification date in the PDF, and this is not under the control of the call, we can't alter the output.

Regards
Vittal
Jul 18, 2013 at 12:50 PM
Hi Vittal, Again thank you for your extra quick response !! After quick reading, I understand that the OfficeToPDF converter tool is just a command line glue to Microsoft Office included converter, that provides it with all usefull informations such as input and output filenames. Am I right ? BR Fabrice Le 18/07/2013 13:40, cognidox a écrit : > > From: cognidox > > Hi Fabrice > > Each of the Office applications has it's own conversion class. e.g. > for Word, it is WordConverter.cs. If you look in this, you'll see the > conversion call: > | doc.ExportAsFixedFormat(outputFile, WdExportFormat.wdExportFormatPDF, false, > WdExportOptimizeFor.wdExportOptimizeForOnScreen, WdExportRange.wdExportAllDocument, > 1, 1, WdExportItem.wdExportDocumentContent, false, true, bookmarks);| > This calls the relevant VSTO call to create the PDF - in the case of > Word > http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/microsoft.office.tools.word.document.exportasfixedformat%28v=vs.90%29.aspx > > > We only have control over what we pass into this call, and if Word > inserts data such as creation or modification date in the PDF, and > this is not under the control of the call, we can't alter the output. > > Regards > Vittal > > Read the full discussion online > . > > To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email > ([email removed] > ) > > To start a new discussion for this project, email > [email removed] > > > You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion > on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe > on > CodePlex.com. > > Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any > posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com > -- */Fabrice/**/PERROS/**/for Exagon Motors/**//* */Senior Embedded Software Engineer @ Electricity & Electronics Dept /* Description :cid:[email removed]6BB050 EXAGON MOTORS - Technopôle du circuit - 58470 Magny-Cours - France Fax : *+33 (0)3 86 21 25 59* E-mail :[email removed] _www.exagon-motors.com_ Les informations contenues dans ce message sont confidentielles et peuvent constituer des informations privilégiées. Si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire de ce message, il vous est interdit de le copier, de le faire suivre, de le divulguer ou d’en utiliser tout ou partie. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, merci de le supprimer de votre système, ainsi que toutes ses copies, et d’en avertir immédiatement l’expéditeur par message de retour. Il est impossible de garantir que les communications par messagerie électronique arrivent en temps utile, sont sécurisées ou dénuées de toute erreur ou virus. En conséquence, l’expéditeur n’accepte aucune responsabilité du fait des erreurs ou omissions qui pourraient en résulter. The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. E-mail communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions which arise as a result.
Hi Vittal,

Again thank you for your extra quick response !!

After quick reading, I understand that the OfficeToPDF converter tool is just a command line glue to Microsoft Office included converter,
that provides it with all usefull informations such as input and output filenames.
Am I right ?

BR
Fabrice

Le 18/07/2013 13:40, cognidox a écrit :

<!--

Description :

www.exagon-motors.com

Les informations contenues dans ce message sont confidentielles et peuvent constituer des informations privilégiées. Si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire de ce message, il vous est interdit de le copier, de le faire suivre, de le divulguer ou d’en utiliser tout ou partie. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, merci de le supprimer de votre système, ainsi que toutes ses copies, et d’en avertir immédiatement l’expéditeur par message de retour.

Il est impossible de garantir que les communications par messagerie électronique arrivent en temps utile, sont sécurisées ou dénuées de toute erreur ou virus. En conséquence, l’expéditeur n’accepte aucune responsabilité du fait des erreurs ou omissions qui pourraient en résulter.

The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail.

E-mail communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions which arise as a result.

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2013 at 12:58 PM
Hi Fabrice

Yes, we are just wrapping around the Office API - we don't do any parsing or rendering of the actual Office documents.

Regards
Vittal
Jul 18, 2013 at 1:04 PM
Hi Vittal, OK, it makes more sense for me now. I'm currently searching a free tool (cmd line if possible) to remove such metada ... Thanks for all. Best Regards Fabrice Le 18/07/2013 13:58, cognidox a écrit : > > From: cognidox > > Hi Fabrice > > Yes, we are just wrapping around the Office API - we don't do any > parsing or rendering of the actual Office documents. > > Regards > Vittal > > Read the full discussion online > . > > To add a post to this discussion, reply to this email > ([email removed] > ) > > To start a new discussion for this project, email > [email removed] > > > You are receiving this email because you subscribed to this discussion > on CodePlex. You can unsubscribe > on > CodePlex.com. > > Please note: Images and attachments will be removed from emails. Any > posts to this discussion will also be available online at CodePlex.com > -- */Fabrice/**/PERROS/**/for Exagon Motors/**//* */Senior Embedded Software Engineer @ Electricity & Electronics Dept /* Description :cid:[email removed]6BB050 EXAGON MOTORS - Technopôle du circuit - 58470 Magny-Cours - France Fax : *+33 (0)3 86 21 25 59* E-mail :[email removed] _www.exagon-motors.com_ Les informations contenues dans ce message sont confidentielles et peuvent constituer des informations privilégiées. Si vous n’êtes pas le destinataire de ce message, il vous est interdit de le copier, de le faire suivre, de le divulguer ou d’en utiliser tout ou partie. Si vous avez reçu ce message par erreur, merci de le supprimer de votre système, ainsi que toutes ses copies, et d’en avertir immédiatement l’expéditeur par message de retour. Il est impossible de garantir que les communications par messagerie électronique arrivent en temps utile, sont sécurisées ou dénuées de toute erreur ou virus. En conséquence, l’expéditeur n’accepte aucune responsabilité du fait des erreurs ou omissions qui pourraient en résulter. The information contained in this e-mail is confidential. It may also be legally privileged. If you are not the addressee you may not copy, forward, disclose or use any part of it. If you have received this message in error, please delete it and all copies from your system and notify the sender immediately by return e-mail. E-mail communications cannot be guaranteed to be timely secure, error or virus-free. The sender does not accept liability for any errors or omissions which arise as a result.
Hi Vittal,

OK, it makes more sense for me now.

I'm currently searching a free tool (cmd line if possible) to remove such metada ...

Thanks for all.

Best Regards

Fabrice

Le 18/07/2013 13:58, cognidox a écrit :

<!--

Description :

www.exagon-motors.com

Coordinator
Jul 18, 2013 at 1:13 PM
Hi Fabrice

If you don't mind writing some C#, you could use iTextSharp (http://sourceforge.net/projects/itextsharp/) to read the PDF and modify it's info properties (http://api.itextpdf.com/itext/com/itextpdf/text/pdf/PdfDocument.PdfInfo.html)

The iText library is also available as Java if you prefer that.

Regards
Vittal