This project has moved. For the latest updates, please go here.

Problems with generating PDF/A

Jun 28, 2016 at 11:00 AM
Hi!

I get the following error, when I try to convert to PDF/A:
This file could not be found.
Did not convert

And then WINWORD.exe hangs in the taskbar.

Br
Casper
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2016 at 11:03 AM
Hi Casper

Can you provide a bit more information:
  • What version of Office are you running on
  • What version of Windows are you running on
  • Which version of OfficeToPDF are you running
  • What exactly is the command line you are using when you get this error
Regards
Vittal
Jun 28, 2016 at 12:40 PM
I am using the following:
  • Office 2010
  • Windows 7 Pro
  • OfficeToPDF 1.7
This is the command line:
C:\temp\KommuneKredit\ConvertToPDF>OfficeToPDF.exe /pdfa AS8DUDL6.docx AS8DUDL6.pdf
This file could not be found.
Did not convert
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2016 at 12:48 PM
Hi

Do you get the same error without the /pdfa option?

Can you confirm AS8DUDL6.docx is in the directory C:\temp\KommuneKredit\ConvertToPDF\?

Regards
Vittal
Jun 28, 2016 at 1:00 PM
It works perfectly without.
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2016 at 1:10 PM
Hi

Very strange that it would work without. Can you provide us with a copy of the document so we can verify the behaviour here?

Can you try with another switch (e.g. /print) and see if you get the same problem? I would like to know if it's an issue with the '/' character being passed to the script.

Can you try cutting and pasting the command below to see if it works:
officetopdf.exe /pdfa AS8DUDL6.docx AS8DUDL6.pdf
Regards
Vittal
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2016 at 1:26 PM
Hi

Could you also see if this works on your PC:
  • Opening the AS8DUDL6.docx file in Word
  • Doing a Save As PDF from Word, selecting the "ISO 19005-1" option
The error you're seeing seems similar to this one https://forums.adobe.com/thread/1053232

Regards
Vittal
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2016 at 1:43 PM
Hi

A possible solution is to ensure you have rights to read and execute C:\Windows\System32\t2embed.dll

For an explanation, see:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_other-security/cant-export-to-pdf-because-permissions-to/283f3afd-ba8f-43d2-9561-f62b1e0028ee

Regards
Vittal
Coordinator
Jun 28, 2016 at 2:01 PM
A bit more information:

Microsoft released a workaround for a security vulnerability that involved restricting access to t2embed.dll until they released a proper fix: https://technet.microsoft.com/library/security/ms11-087

The underlying problem has now been fixed by Microsoft so access to t2embed.dll can now be re-instated, as described in the "How to undo the workaround" section in the link above.

Regards
Vittal
Jun 29, 2016 at 8:06 AM
Hi!

I get the same error when, I try to save as PDF/A in Word. I have tried to do the workaround as described, but I get this error:

C:>Icacls.exe "%windir%\syswow64\t2embed.DLL" /remove:d *S-1-1-0
C:\Windows\syswow64\t2embed.DLL: Access is denied.
Successfully processed 0 files; Failed processing 1 files

Any suggestions?

Br
Casper
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2016 at 8:42 AM
Hi Casper

You're getting the "access denied" message from icacls.exe because you're not running the command in an administrator command prompt.

Start the command prompt as administrator (as described here: https://technet.microsoft.com/en-gb/library/cc947813(v=ws.10).aspx) and then run the work around command.

Regards
Vittal
Jun 29, 2016 at 8:46 AM
Same problem when running as Administror. The test I posted earlier was also run as Administrator?
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2016 at 9:06 AM
Hi Casper

Do you run this computer or is it managed by a network administrator? If it's run by a network admin, they may have limited access to the dll to just domain admins, and blocked out local admins. You may need to request they un-block the file.

Find t2embed.DLL in Windows Explorer, right-click and choose Properties and then the Security tab. That will show you who has permissions on the file.

Regards
Vittal
Jun 29, 2016 at 9:35 AM
It is my own computer, and it is not managed. Users and administrators have Read&Execute and Read access.
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2016 at 9:39 AM
Casper

In the administrative command prompt window, what do the following commands result in:
Icacls.exe %WINDIR%\system32\t2embed.DLL /remove:d  everyone
Icacls.exe %WINDIR%\syswow64\t2embed.DLL /remove:d  everyone
Regards
Vittal
Jun 29, 2016 at 9:41 AM
C:\temp\KommuneKredit\ConvertToPDF>Icacls.exe %WINDIR%\system32\t2embed.DLL /remove:d everyone
C:\Windows\system32\t2embed.DLL: Access is denied.

C:\temp\KommuneKredit\ConvertToPDF>Icacls.exe %WINDIR%\syswow64\t2embed.DLL /remove:d everyone
C:\Windows\syswow64\t2embed.DLL: Access is denied.
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2016 at 10:07 AM
Casper

Can you take ownership of the files successfully?
Takeown.exe /f "%windir%\system32\t2embed.dll"
Takeown.exe /f "%windir%\syswow64\t2embed.dll"
Regards
Vittal
Jun 29, 2016 at 10:13 AM
Yes! I took ownership, and then I could run Icacls.exe commands. But stil the same problem, when converting :-(
Coordinator
Jun 29, 2016 at 10:16 AM
Casper

Did you restart after changing permissions?

After restarting, check if the problem still appears when saving as a PDF directly from Word itself.

If the problem is still there in Word, check if any anti-virus software you're using is blocking access to the function by temporarily disabling the anti-virus realtime checks.

Regards
Vittal
Marked as answer by cognidox on 9/20/2016 at 4:38 PM
Coordinator
Jul 6, 2016 at 8:56 AM
Hi Casper

Do you still have this problem?

Regards
Vittal